My answer is always the same. No matter what social media channel you use, always remember to…
“Be Friendly, Be Engaging, Be Human.”
When you want a friend, you have to be a friend. Right? I mean, you can’t attract any friend, much less, any fans or followers if you’re snippy and full of bad attitude. You simply just have to be friendly. Simple.
Next, when you’ve attracted a friend, fan or follower, you need to be engaging. What’s attractive about a one-sided communication? Nothing. You need to be engaging. Ask a question. Answer a question. Create a fun environment. One of my pet peeves is when people don’t answer my question or email. What’s up with that? Did you not hear me? Respond please. Your customers want to hear from you too. So talk to them. Engage with them. Make them feel important and they will be back. 🙂
Last but not least. And this should really be the easiest. Simply be human. That’s all. Treat others as you would want to be treated. No one’s perfect. So it’s OK if your customers see faults. Admit to it. Apologize. Then make it right. I’ll say it again, just be human.
Here are 5 suggestions on how you can build strong relationships in Social Media:
- Create an awareness and make your presence known in various Social Media Networks like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, blogs, etc.
- Share personal stories with your friends, fans and followers.
- Share not only successes but also failures with your friends, fans and followers and make sure to involve them in the process.
- Communicate, communicate often and communicate promptly.
- Last but not least, take the time to say “thank you”.
So as you can see, it’s not that difficult to make Social Media work for you. It’s really just all about relationship building and if you remember to just be human and treat your customers as such, you will gain their trust.
So what do you think? Do you have any to add to my list? I’m open to hearing your ideas…. Oh, and thank you for stopping by and reading my blog!